Msc Soil Science and Land Management
The MSc Soil Science and Land Management is a two years programme and includes a number of taught courses in various disciplines of Soil Science. The courses are designed to train the candidates for research and teaching positions in the educational and research institutions, research administration and extension in government departments and parastatal organizations. Formulate and execute research, analyse data and interpret results in the domain of soil science and land management
At the end of the programme, graduates are expected to be able to:
- Communicate with professionals and non-professionals on matters related to soil science and land management.
- Conduct land capability/suitability evaluation and environmental impact assessment for a wide range of land uses
- Handle and assist farmers on matters related to sustainable ways of improving soil productivity and crop production
- Employ themselves in agricultural-based and related firms.
- Work independently and in teams and demonstrate professionalism in soil science and land management
- Apply aspects of crop production, agricultural enterprise and farm management, sustainable exploitation of natural resources for crop production.
- Influence policies and economics related to physical environment, natural resources, climate, and culture on the agricultural industry
Details of the Msc in Soil Science and Land Management programme are available in the information handbook pdf
PhD Soil and Water Management
This program is by research and course aimed at producing highly qualifies graduates who can critically analyse and synthesize all matters related to soil science and land management for sustainable agricultural insdustry in the greater East, Central and South Africa (ECSA) region.
The programme's (PhD Soil and Water Management) goals are to develop and strengthen regional human resources and institutional capacity in impact-oriented training and research in soil and water management as an entry point towards sustainable agricultural production in the ECSA region.
Students who graduate from this programme will be able to:
- Interpret advanced concepts of soil and water in harnessing natural resources for sustainable development.
- Undertake a critical review of advances in integrated soil fertility management, land use dynamics, land and water resource degradation, harnessing and application in agricultural systems.
- Formulate a wide range of experimental design for use in soil and water research.
- Illustrate the role of ICT and modelling tools to guide management of soil and water resources.
Recognize the essence of sound managerial ability and effective communication as platforms for enabling successful holistic approach for research and developmental programmes related to the management of soil and water.
PhD Soil Science
PhD in Soil Science programme is by research only.
Regulations and Guidelines for PhD degree in the Department of Soil and Geological Science is as per the regulations and guidelines for Doctor of Phylosphy (PhD) degree at Sokoine University of Agriculture as stipulated in the Prospectus and in the “Regulations and Guidelines for higher degrees at Sokoine University of Agriculture”