NAME: Dr. Hilda Gerald Sanga
Hilda G. Sanga (PhD) is a Soil Scientist, currently working as a lecturer in the Department of Soil and Geological Sciences at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA), in Tanzania. Apart from teaching, she also does research, consultancy and outreach activities in soil science for soil resource management for sustainable agriculture and environmental protection. Generally, she brings her passion and expertise in the field to all aspects of her work.
PhD in Soil Science, University of Nottingham- UK.
MSc. in Physical Land Resources (Majoring in Soil Science), University of Gent-Belgium
BSc. Agronomy, Sokoine University of Agriculture-Tanzania
Professional experience for the last 12 years.
- 2013 to date: Lecturer in Soil Science at Sokoine University of Agriculture – Tanzania
- 2009 – 2012: Assistant Lecturer in Soil Science at Sokoine University of Agriculture – Tanzania
- 2007-2009: Tutorial Assistant in Soil Science at Sokoine University of Agriculture – Tanzania
- 2006-2007: Technical officer – Tea Research Institute of Tanzania (TRIT) – Rungwe District- Tanzania
- Principal Investigator: The use of coal ash from power plants as a soil conditioner. A PhD research project which was co-funded by the Vice Chancellor scholarship, University of Nottingham and Commonwealth Scholarship Commission – UK
- Principal Investigator: Localization of mineralizable organic carbon using X-Ray Computer Tomography. MSc. Research project which was funded by VLIR-OUS- Belgium
Areas of Research interests
Her research interests are on:
- Soil science field and all the related subject (Soil science, Agronomy, Soil and water resource managements).
- Evaluation (potential ecological use, ecotoxicology and sustainability) of wastes derived from sustainable energy systems.
Hilda’s teaching interests reflects her research interests.
Her courses are listed: Fundamentals of soil sciences, Soil Physics, Agrometeorology, Land husbandry and conservation agriculture, Soil and water conservation.
Supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate projects
- Currently supervised 6 undergraduate research projects.
- I am happy to receive applications/ supervise self-funded undergraduate and postgraduate research studies within the areas of my research interests.
- Chairperson of the Undergraduate Committee at the Department of Soil and Geological Sciences SUA.
- Member of British Society of Soil Science (BSSS) – UK
- Member of Tanzania and Gent (Belgium) student association
- Member of Tanzania Agronomy Society (TAS)
- Member of Soil Science Society of East Africa (SSSEA)
- Member, Sokoine University of Agriculture Staff Association (SUASA)
Sleutel, S., Bouckaert, L., Buchan, D., Van Loo, D., Cornelis, W.M., Sanga, H.G., 2012. Manipulation of the soil pore and microbial community structure in soil mesocosm incubation studies. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 45,40-48