Name: Hadijah A. Mbwana, BSc., MSc., PhD
Areas of specialization: Dietary practices and patterns of vulnerable groups, food and nutrition security potential of indigenous and locally produced foods throughout the food value chain, improving nutrition through agriculture, infant and young child feeding, breastfeeding promotion and protection.
Selected Research Projects
- Assistant co-coordinator: Scale-N project [Scaling-Up Nutrition: Implementing Potentials of nutrition-sensitive and diversified agriculture to increase food security. The Scale-N project is financially supported by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL)]2016-2018)
- Coordinator: Vegi-Leg project: Implementing innovative processing technologies for nutrient-dense plant foods - African indigenous vegetables and legumes - to safeguard perennial nutrition security: Funded by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL) in collaboration with ZALF (2019-2021)
- Stuetz, W., Gowele, V., Kinabo, J., Bundala, N., Mbwana, H., Rybak, C., … Biesalski, H. K. (2019). Consumption of Dark Green Leafy Vegetables Predicts Vitamin A and Iron Intake and Status among Female Small-Scale Farmers in Tanzania. Nutrients, 11(5), 1025. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11051025
- Bonatti, M., Homem, L.H.I.R., Graef, F., Mbwana, H.A., Rybak, C. Lana, M., & Sieber, S. (2017). Social organization, constraints and opportunities for kitchen garden implementation: ScalA and ScalA-FS assessment tools in Morogoro and Dodoma, Tanzania. Food Sec. (2017) 9: 1299. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12571-017-0726-7
- Mbwana, H. A., Kinabo, J., Lambert, C and Biesalski, H.K. (2017). Factors influencing stunting among children in rural Tanzania: An agro-climatic zone perspective. Springer Journal of Food Security, 1-15, DOI: 10.1007/s12571-017-0672-4.
- Mbwana, H. A., Kinabo, J., Lambert, C., & Biesalski, H. K. (2016). Determinants of household dietary practices in rural Tanzania : Implications for nutrition interventions. Cogent Food & Agriculture, 13, 1–13.
- Chirande, L., Charwe, D., Mbwana, H., Victor, R., Kimboka, S., Issaka, A. I., … Agho, K. E. (2015). Determinants of stunting and severe stunting among under-fives in Tanzania : evidence from the 2010 cross-sectional household survey. BMC Pediatrics, 1–13. http://doi.org/10.1186/s12887-015-0482-9
- Mbwana, Hadijah A, Christine Lambert, Joyce Kinabo, and Hans K Biesalski. 2015. “Tackling Food and Nutrition Insecurity in Rural Tanzania: Farmers Perspectives on Kitchen Gardening as a Sustainable Solution.” Tropentag Conference, Berlin. http://www.tropentag.de/2015/abstracts/full/198.pdf
- Mwinuka, Lutengano, Isa Schneider, Claude Maeda, Khamaldin D Mutabazi, Frieder Graef, Stefan Sieber, Elirehema Swai, Hadijah Mbwana, and Martha Swamila. (2015). “Comparing Stakeholder Views for Mutual Acceptable Food Value Chain Upgrading Strategies in Tanzania” 10 (12): 1376–1385.