Name: Jamal Bakari Kussaga; BSc., MSc., PhD
Title: Senior Lecturer
Areas of Expertise: Food safety, food quality, food safety management systems audit, food safety risk assessment, food processing, food product development and extrusion technology.
Research Interests: Food safety, food quality, food safety culture, mycotoxins, food microbiology, product development, extrusion technology, effectiveness of food safety management systems
Selected Consultancies and Research Projects
- Co-Principal Investigator: Prevalence of aflatoxins in animal feeds and raw milk along the dairy value chain in three agro-ecological zones of Tanzania, COSTECH (2019-2012)
- Project member: Use of Biosciences for Value Addition and Diversification to Enhance Commercialization of Sorghum and Millet Products. Bioinnovate Africa Program, Phase I, SIDA (2012-2015)
- Project member: Unlocking the commercial potential of new sorghum and millet products for improved nutrition and socio-economic gains in Eastern Africa. Bioinnovate Africa Program, SIDA (2018-2020).
- Project member: Local and International business collaboration for productivity and Quality Improvement in Dairy chains in Vietnam, Indonesia, Tanzania and Kenya (LIQUID), NOW-WOTRO (2015-2020).
- Project member: Innovative technologies for reducing post-harvest losses in fresh fruits and vegetables in Zanzibar. COSTECH (2018-2021)
- Principal investigator: Understanding the factors for insufficiency performance of food safety management systems in Tanzanian fish industry, IFS (2011-2013)
- Consultant: Consultancy services for conducting baseline survey for Tanzania Initiative for Preventing Aflatoxin Contamination (TANIPAC) Project, (2019-2020)
- Lead Consultant: A sector wide training on a sector wide training: food safety management systems (ISO, 22000) for food processing sector in Tanzania, Funded by Technoserve Inc. (2018)
- Consultant: A sector wide training on Good Manufacturing practices (GMP) and Tanzania regulations governing GMP to medium and large scale processors in Tanzania (2018)
- Consultant: Training on Good Manufacturing practices (GMP) for small-scale sunflower oil processors from Iringa and Njombe Regions, funded by Sundy Merchants Company Ltd, (January, 2019).
- Nyarugwe, S. P., Linnemann, A. R., Ren, Y., Bakker, E. J., Kussaga, J. B., Watson, D., ... and Luning, P. A. (2019). An intercontinental analysis of food safety culture in view of food safety governance and national values. Food Control, 107075.
- Masters, W.A. ......Kussaga, J.B., et al., (2018). Priority interventions to improve maternal and child diet in sub-Saharan Africa. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 10.1111/mcn.12526.
- Masters, W.A. ......Kussaga, J.B., et al., (2018). Designing programs to improve diets for maternal and child health: estimating costs and potential dietary impacts of nutrition-sensitive programs in Ethiopia, Nigeria, and India. Health Policy Plan 33(4):564-573.
- Kussaga, J.B., Luning, P.A, Tiisekwa, B.P.M, and Jacxsens, L (2017). Microbiological performance of HACCP-based food safety management systems: a case of Nile perch processing company. African Journal of Food Science, 11(7), 200-214.
- Kussaga J.B and Luning P.A (2016). Key-risk factors on quality and safety of donated foods in the food aid supply chains: A theoretical framework. African Journal of Food Science and Technology, 7(6): 144-160.
- Kussaga J.B., Liesbeth, J., Luning P.A., and Tiisekwa B.P.M. (2015). Current performance of Food Safety Management Systems of Dairy Processing Companies in Tanzania. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 68(2): 227-252.
- Kussaga, J.B., Luning, P.A, Tiisekwa, B.P.M, and Jacxsens, L. (2014). Challenges in Performance of Food Safety Management Systems: a case of Fish Processing Companies in Tanzania. Journal of Food Protection, 77(4), 621–630.
- Kussaga J.B., Jacxsens, L., Tiisekwa B.P.M. and Luning, P.A (2014). Food safety management systems performance in African food processing companies: a review of deficiencies and possible improvement strategies. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 94(11): 2154-2169.
- Kussaga J.B., Jacxsens, L., Luning, P.A and Tiisekwa B.P.M. (2013). Diagnosis of food safety management systems performance in food processing sectors for export and domestic markets. African Journal of Food Science and Technology, 4(10), 240-250.
- Mgonja, J.T. and Kussaga, J. (2012). Evaluation of traceability systems in fish supply chains: A case study of Tanzania. Pakistan Journal of Food Sciences, 22(3), 133-142.
- Jacxsens, L., Kussaga, J.,Santilana Farakos, S.M., Kousta, M. Drosinos, E.H., Uyttendaele, M. and Luning, P.A (2011). Quality Assurance Standards and Guidelines Evaluation Grid. Food Science and Law, no 5, 14-25.
- Jacxsens, L., Kussaga, J., Luning, P.A., Van der Spiegel, M., Uyttendaele, M. (2009). A microbial assessment scheme to support microbial performance measurements of food safety management systems. International Journal of Food Microbiology 134, 113-125.
- Luning, P.A., Bango, L., Kussaga, J., Rovira, J., Marcelis W.J., (2008). Comprehensive analysis and differentiated assessment of food safety control systems: a diagnostic instrument. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 19(10), 522-534.
- Kussaga, J.B. (2017). Challenges in assessment of food safety management systems in food industries of developing countries. In: Food Safety and Consumption: Assessment, Practices and Current Issues. Nova Publishing. (https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=62461&osCsid=e274c5014ba0660e9d363b860aecfc54)