Applications are hereby invited for admission into Master and PhD degree programmes offered by the Department of Food Technology, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences for the academic year 2020/2021. Candidates for Master degree programmes with Coursework are admitted and registered once every year for an academic year that starts in October of each year. Candidates for Master and PhD by Research and Thesis only may apply and be admitted at anytime of the year. Successful candidates will be notified immediately after consideration and approval is made by the University Senate and they will be expected to embark on studies in October, 2020. Candidates meeting the prescribed minimum qualifications are invited to apply for admission. The following are the Master and PhD degree programmes offered at the department:
A. MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
A.1 MASTER BY COURSEWORK AND DISSERTATION
A.2. MASTER BY RESEARCH AND THESIS
Master Degree programmes by Research and Thesis are offered in all Academic units (School, Colleges and Sokoine National Agricultural Library). Applications for Master by Research and Thesis are received throughout the year and studies can commence at any time of the year once admission is granted. Master degree by Research and Thesis is offered for two years (24 months) and 36 months on a full-time and part time basis respectively leading to a thesis.
B. PhD DEGREE PROGRAMMES BY RESEARCH AND THESIS
PhD degree programmes by Research and Thesis are offered in all Academic units (School, Colleges and Sokoine National Agricultural Library). Applications for PhD by Research and Thesis are received throughout the year and studies can commence at any time of the year once admission is granted.
GENERAL MINIMUM ADMISSION QUALIFICATIONS
Master Degree by Coursework and Dissertation
- A candidate shall either hold an undergraduate degree with GPA of at least 2.7 of SUA or a qualification from an approved institution of higher learning with a GPA of 2.7.
- Candidates who hold unclassified degrees (e.g. BVM) should have an average of B grade in the subject of intended Master’s degree.
- Candidates with Pass degree will be considered for admission if their undergraduate performance in the proposed subject of study was a B grade average or above.
- Candidates with Pass degree will also be considered for admission if they have satisfied the relevant College/School Postgraduate Studies Committees that they have exhibited academic potential through extensive fieldwork/research experience of at least three years and/or additional professional development courses of duration of at least three months.
- With the exception of the MPVM and MBA (Agribusiness) degree programmes which are one year and one and half years, respectively, all other Master degree programmes are tenable for two years for full time students and three years for part time students. In the case of full time students, the first year is dedicated for coursework, while the second year is for research and dissertation writing.
Master Degree by Research and Thesis
- A candidate shall either hold an undergraduate degree with GPA of at least 3.5 of SUA or a qualification from an approved institution of higher learning with a GPA of 3.5. OR
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 2.7 and research experience of at least three years. An applicant will be considered to have acquired research experience when he/she has published at least one paper in SUA recognized journals or one paper in conference proceedings or has attended training on grant proposal writing or research methodology or data analysis.
PhD programmes by Research and Thesis
A candidate shall have:
- Master degree of SUA or other higher learning institutions with GPA of at least 3.5 OR average grade of B+ for unclassified master degrees;
- Master degree by Research and Thesis;
- Master of Philosophy in relevant discipline.
For more information on the postgraduate programmes tenable at SUA for the academic year 2020/2021 visit www.sua.ac.tz.
MODE OF APPLICATION AND PAYMENT
Candidates can apply for admission into SUA degree programmes through either of the two options:
- Online application through http://suasis.sua.ac.tz:9092/index.php/welcome . Make sure that all relevant academic and financial documents are attached before final submission is made.
For Tanzanians payments should be made through;
Account Holder: SUA Internal Revenue TZS collection
Account Number: 0150379806700
Bank Name: CRDB Bank plc
For Foreigners payments should be made through;
Account Holder: SUA Internal Revenue USD collection
Account Number: 026105002248
Bank Name: NBC Bank Ltd
N.B: Be reminded to fill a CONTROL NUMBER in banker’s TISS /SWIFT application form
DEADLINES FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for applications are scheduled as follows:
a) Normal application without penalty: before 30th June 2020
b) Late Application with penalty: 30th September 2020 onwards
In all programmes, females applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
For further information, please contact:
Directorate of Postgraduate studies, Research, Technology Transfer and Consultancy
Sokoine University of Agriculture,
P.O. Box 3151, Chuo Kikuu,
Fax: +255 023 2640013